Peers and students...

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Thu May 29 17:24:53 PDT 1997

Greetings...

When a Knight/Laurel/Pelican takes a student, it is usually a less
formal relationship than that with a squire/apprentice/protoge. There
are no belts, contracts, etc.  Students are also taken by Master of
Arms(members of the that are unable to take an oath of fealty--they wear
a white baldric).  The relationship between a master of arms and their
students may be a bit more formal....I really don't know.

Protoges come in 2 forms (at least that is how i have heard it....).
Pelicans traditionally take protoges.  Laurels sometimes take protoges.
These are individuals that don't necessarily need to 'learn' their
craft.  They are very skilled in what they do. It is closer to a patron
type relationship.  Apprentices usually learn the same art/science as
the laurel they work with.

Hope I haven't confused you more!

meadhbh