Peers and students...

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Fri May 30 02:27:36 PDT 1997

Pug Bainter wrote:

> > I know well what squires and apprentices are. What or to whom or how
> > or in what capacity are students and proteges (sp?) made or used for.
>
> I've been using students as a generic term for squire, apprentice and
> protege.
>
> A protege is a student to a Pelican. I honestly don't know if there is a
> true teacher-student relationship here since you can't teach service.
> It's out of the heart or out of desire for the "title".
>
> Ciao,

> --
> Phelim "Pug" Gervase  | "I want to be called. COTTONTIPS. There is

Here, I have to take time to disagree.  _Much_ can be taught in the way
of autocratting techniques, how to know when to resign from office, how
to become a more expert herald, how to be a better leader, how to gauge
how many people are likely to attend an event, how to deal with people,
local history (invaluable to those who expect to interact with others
who are in touch with local history), and much more.  All of that besides
the bearing and other qualities of peerage, and the sometimes-needed
advocacy in the circle.  There's really quite a lot a protege could get
from a pelican, to become a better servant to the kingdom.

- Galen, who sometimes is of service
--
Viscount Galen of Bristol, KSCA, CSM, etc.
Paul Mitchell, pmitchel at flash.net / "noblesse oblige"