Peers and students...

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Sat May 31 06:23:59 PDT 1997

<<
 > _Much_ can be taught in the way
 > of autocratting techniques, how to know when to resign from office, how
 > to become a more expert herald, how to be a better leader, how to gauge
 > how many people are likely to attend an event, how to deal with people,
 > local history (invaluable to those who expect to interact with others
 > who are in touch with local history), and much more.

   To be honest, I hadn't even thought of these things needing to be tought
   to become a pelican. I think some of these are things that every society
   member should know.

 Ciao,

 --
 Phelim "Pug" Gervase   >>

     My dear Pug,
       So far I have stayed out of this discussion in favor of all the "wiser
heads" and have enjoyed the cogent statements everyone has offered.  But when
you try to pile such a heavy burden on "every society member", I must
protest.  I do not know some of the things on the above list, and have been
associated with our society for more than 15 years.  Some of those things do
not in the least interest me, which indicates that I do not have the heart of
a bureaucrat or a Pelican.  I think it is unfair to assume that everyone
should know such things.Everyone has a different emphasis and a different
activity level.
     I myself started activity as a squire to Sir Thorgierr lo these many
years ago.  I chose this form of attachment because at the time there were so
few lady fighters I felt that I needed some special instruction and
encouragement.
     Time has moved on, and I am not fighting right now (still recovering
from Caesaran childbirth) and so I am focusing more on my artistic interests.
 For this reason, I became apprenticed to Master Finn Kelley O'Donnell.  I
did this for many reasons.  I wanted to be included in his household, I
wanted someone that I respected and that I knew I would listen to who would
push me out of being shy and retiring, and I wanted someone to speak for me
in the circle, as we have a vast Kingdom, and sometimes it is difficult for
the peers of the far sides of our Kingdom to observe achievements of worthy
"wannabees".
     I want to be a Laurel because I feel that some of the things I do now
are of very high quality, and I want to be able to share my opinion with
others.  I have seen it before, that unless I have those leaves, many people
discount my opinions and research.  And the recognition of course is fun.
     Any more questions?  (I have enjoyed the depth of this discussion, and
hope to hear from others as well.)

Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir