ANST - Educational view

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 7 11:20:50 PST 1997

At 06:19 PM 11/6/97, you wrote:

>>> I have seen several people writing about the Ren Fairs drawing new
>members.  This accounts for a great deal here in the Western Region.  We
>have had 3 major weekend demos in our Region over the last > non - profit
>EDUCATIONAL organization, IN MY OPINIO
>>N, these take precedence over traveling to events.  As an educator, I feel
>my primary place is educating students and public to what we are and what>
>>> Ulrica
>>>

>>Since we are a EDUCATIONAL HISTORICAL recreation group, I say
>>ditto. Events are fun, but if you are not sharing the wealth of know-
>>ledge, how else are we to grow?

What you say about drawing new members is very true, *however*, I'd much
rather do it as a demo in the park or at a school.  I have a real problem
with helping people like George just get richer at our expense--granted, we
do get money for our groups, but...  Not to mention the fact that Ren Fairs,
at least the Texas one often get people off to a questionable start
regarding accuracy, authenticity, etc. as concerns the SCA.  Jes' call me
picky ;^>

Catherine