ANST - SCA Status

Erik Langhans modius at cityscope.net
Mon Nov 10 20:45:22 PST 1997

Here is a pass along from Dona Teresa the Society Chatelain

"We are a 501(c)3 organization as classified by the Federal Government
through the Internal Revenue Service. That is what gives us non-profit
status with the IRS. Many, many other organizations in the United States
also have this status, and it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with
education. We, as an organization, could never hold another demo ever and it
would not jeopardize our non-profit status EVER with the IRS! I am a
Development professional for a living now, and I can assure you that that is
the case. The BoD and several of the Society officers that I have had the
good fortune to work with also can confirm this. The many church groups,
famliy foundations, and service organizations - all of the myriad types of
organizations that are 501(c)3 organizations - are not required by law to
perform educational activities, and neither are we.

However we, as an organization that has at it's core the ideals of sharing
our love of history with others, have made it an almost moral obligation on
the part of our members to participate in the educational aspect of what we
call the Society for Creative Anachronism. That is what is true and right
for US within our organization. The IRS, I assure, doesn't give a damn one
way or another. But we sure do - and that is a Good Thing."

Thus ends the pass along.

Modius