Mundane Politics (was: Re: ANST - Educational view)

Nan Bradford-Reid ad-4na at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Nov 11 07:46:21 PST 1997

At 09:43 AM 11/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Galen here!
>
>Nan Bradford-Reid wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> Hardly, in a lot of ways, the middle ages has nothing on the politics people
>> try to play in this 'game' we call SCA.
>
>Oh, I don't know about _that_.  Mundane politics (nor SCA politics)
>doesn't get people burned at the stake the way period politics did
>to St. Joan d'Arc.  Not to mention what happened to poor Edward II.
>Or Richard II.  Or Henry VI.

Iss true...but sometimes I wonder if folks wouldn't *like* to burn someone
at the stake... >8^)

>That's true.  As one who is mundanely conservative (someone
>once asked me how I could be conservative _and_ be in the SCA --
>betraying, I think, an ignorance of either conservatism or the
>SCA, or both),

The two are not mutually exclusive.  Just as being in the military and a
liberal are not mutually exclusive. <gasp>

>wearing a t-shirt supportive of the U.S. President; I noticed and
>resolved that I would not remark on it, as this was fighter practice,
>and I was there for other things.  About 20 minutes later, Candall
>called over to me, "Hey, Galen, did you see his t-shirt?!?"

Actually, one should be supportive of the President; Bill Clinton maybe not.
But the Office of the President deserves our allegiance and respect.  Just
as one might not care for the man sitting on the throne of your kingdom, you
still swear fealty because you are swearing fealty to the Crown (the office)
and not the man wearing it.

By the laws of both entities, the president and the king are the lawfully
chosen leaders and deserve obedience and respect until they are lawfully
removed, either by re-election/crown tournament or legal action.  It does
not mean that anyone should take their word without question, but I'm
getting damn tired of people dissing the president and ignoring his office,
regardless of who is holding it.  How's that for conservative?

Catherine
|N. Bradford-Reid              |"If you want to inspire confidence, |
|Air Force ROTC Detachment 825 |*give plenty of statistics*.  It    |
|The University of Texas       |does not matter that they should be |
|AD-4NA at mail.utexas.edu        |accurate, or even intelligible, so  |
|Phantom CAP SQDN 42352        |long as there is enough of them."   |
|A-1 Skyraiders Association    |                  Lewis Carroll     |