ANST - What I learn in College

Catherine R Popalisky heatherford.manor at juno.com
Wed Nov 12 18:13:31 PST 1997

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:19:02 -0500 (EST) Mjccmc01 at aol.com writes:
>Siobhan here from sunny San Diego
>
>In defense of college professors, you're probably getting the more
>titillating trivia like "chastity belts" instead of a learned
>discourse on
>gender roles in the Middle Ages because the professor harbors the vain
>hope
>that 2/3 of the class might wake up and retain at least one factoid
>from the
>class, and perhaps even one person might be inspired to further
>explore
>relations between the sexes in the Middle Ages.  Using sex to spark
>interest
>in a relatively unrelated commodity is the American way, after all.

One of my roommates was a history major.  She took medeival history while
we were pair, and her reading resourses were indeed excellent.  Her
professor had a hand-out that was a basic flow-chart that helped you
determine if it was OK to have sex in period if you were a good Catholic.
 I feel good about the accuracy of the sheet.  I feel it's much more
interesting (and relevant) than iron underwear.

Of course, my last history teacher was a member of my shire.

Kateryn Heathrydge
Three Rivers, Calontir