ANST - If a tree falls in the woods?

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Mon Oct 13 06:56:29 PDT 1997

Alexis,

I understand your frustration, however, you must consider a few
things. Your event was up against the following:

	1.) Namron Protectorate: This was way up north and while probably not
a big draw against your event, a draw none the less.

	2.) St. Oligardio: Every year, Bjornsborg holds a Fall event. This
year it happened to coincide with the Loch's Fall event. Bjornsborg is
in the Southern Region, thus a larger draw.

	3.) Ren Fair: As far as I'm concerned, there's no choice between an
SCA event and going to a Ren Fair. The SCA event will win out every
time. However, many groups depend on the Ren Fair for money and new
members. Like it or not Ren Fair was probably a draw against your
event.

	4.) Weather: As if 1-3 weren't bad enough, you had lousy weather on
the weekend of your event. Bjornsborg had the same weather to much the
same effect. Come to think of it, I didn't see a plethora of people
from the Coastal Region at the Bjornsborg event.

	This fair kingdom continues to grow and as it does so, more and more
groups will find themselves competing with each other for attendance
to their events. Thus the topic of principalities that comes around
every few months.

	I'm sorry if your event was poorly attended and if things didn't
happen as planned. I know that a great deal of work was put into an
event that now may perceived by some as a failure because only a few
people attended. However, as long as people enjoyed themselves at the
event, then it was not a failure. I hope that you do not consider it
as such.

	Finally, while I understand your frustration, I can assure you that
chastising people or making people feel guilty will not result in
greater attendance to your future events. I know that you're upset
over all of the work and planning that went into the event only to
have 53 people show up to appreciate it but I think that the Loch was
a victim of circumstances, not apathy. I can assure you that people
didn't intend to slight the fine Barony of Loch Sollier. You all just
felt the squeeze of a tight calendar and the slap of bad weather.

	Sincerely,
	-Pendaran