ANST - If a tree falls in the woods?

Talen von Marienburg talen at microtutors.com
Mon Oct 13 09:22:26 PDT 1997

Your Excellency,

Though I appreciate your concern for the low attendance at Loch Sollier, I
refer you to HE Pendaron's posting on this same subject.  I feel he has
made some good points.  However, I would like to have a clarification from
you on the following statement.

><snip>
>I had experienced in the past many
>enjoyable events both in my Southern region and in the Middle region, none
in
>the Northern region and only 3 in the West. In my fourteen years in the
>Society, I have racked up many miles and dollars in order to visit other
>people and events.  Perhaps our Kingdom is to big to make it possible to
>visit them all ( I am NOT going to open that can of worms).
<snip>

>    Baron Bors of Lothian

I was curious to know if "...none in the Northern Region..." meant you had
never experienced an enjoyable event in this region, or if you merely had
never travelled to this region?  If the former, I am sorry.  I would like
to know privately which event(s) it was and when.  If it was the latter, I
would invite you to attend one of our events as your finances and schedule
may allow.  I feel you will find it an enjoyable experience.  I also feel
you will likely have to forego attending a closer event in order to do so.

I too have 'racked up many miles and spent many dollars in order to visit
other people and events', and have travelled to all of the regions (though
not yet all of the groups).  Our kingdom is large and our calender is
crowded.  This year was my first for Ravensfort.  Normally we schedule
Mooneschadowe Guardian on this date, but Wastelands beat us to it.  I had
to forego Wastelands Defender next door in order to attend Ravensfort
Defender two regions away.  Though I missed my friends at Wastelands, I saw
other friends at Ravensfort.  Life is full of these choices.

Our kingdom is too big for us to reasonably visit all of the groups.  The
SCA is not our life, but our hobby.  And we need to occasionally miss some
events all together, as laundry needs to be done, research and sewing and
armoring and repairs and learning new dances and working with newcomers and
training new fighters needs to be done and demos held.  And fighters and
artisans on the "circuit" often can't participate as fully in their own
local fighter practices/A&S Guilds/local weekend activities as they are
actively trying to avoid the connotation of "they don't travel enough".
Though I think this may sometimes me overemphasized, I do believe that
people should make an effort to at least visit the regions that border
their own.  I can say that I have friends in every region of our Kingdom,
and that would not be if I had stayed home and waited on them to come to my
event.  I am enriched from my travels, and so I encourage everyone to
travel as their purse allows.  Each of our regions is distinctly different,
and yet remains distinctly Ansteorran.  No where is this more obvious than
Pennsic, where regional differences melt away as we are surrounded by
"foreign" cultures and realize we are first and foremost _Ansteorrans_.

Talen
--------
Herr Talen Gustaf von Marienburg
Companion of the Centurion of the Sable Star of Ansteorra
Warlord of Nordsteorra (Kriegsherr von Nordsteorra)
Deputy to the Northern Regional Knight Marshal
Resident of the Shire of Mooneschadowe
talen at microtutors.com