ANST - Has the Population Grown

cward at awd.com cward at awd.com
Tue Oct 14 15:09:05 PDT 1997

> *Has* population grown, though?  I think SCA membership has been static
> for several yeasr (tho $35 full membership per year may have something
> to do with it; I just wrote a renewal check, and that plus first-class
> plus Complete Anachronist plus the BoD minutes set me back $72).
> Didn't I hear something about Ansteorran paid membership dropping,
> to where people were starting to worry about long-term status?

Sael og heill!

I guarantee you that we have many, many more times the people we had when
Ansteorra became a kingdom.  I haven't looked at Corpora for the numbers,
but it really doesn't take a huge population to be a kingdom.  In terms of
sheer numbers of warm bodies, we have more than enough people to make two
and possibly more kingdoms out of Ansteorra, much less form a principality
or two.

Whether or not it is wise is another thing altogether.  As we discussed
exhaustively the last time the P word got mentioned, in order for a
principality to form several things have to happen:

(1) there must be a regional identity -- I think a whole lot of the
argument previously was because the proposed principality lines seemed
"gerrymandered" to some folks, and I had heard it said that the proposed
divisions at that time were divided the way they were delierately to keep
any group from successfully becoming its own kingdom -- kind of contrary to
the purpose of a principality to my mind, which is "a tool to support and
promote growth."

(2) the movement to make a principality must be a grass-roots thing, a
cause decided upon and worked for by the people in the area that wants to
be a principality.

(3) the group which desires to form a principality must have sufficient
population, peers, and stability to support itself, else it could wither
and die of isolation before it gets a chance to root well and grow.

(4) a whole lot of people have to get over the idea that their lives will
disintegrate if the status quo is altered.  This is a big part of the
"knee-jerk" reaction to the P word -- simply that people fear the unknown.
For centuries nay-sayers have been telling the world why (fill in the
blank) won't ever work, only to be proved completely, foolishly wrong.

I have thought for a long time that a principality or two would be a good
thing for Ansteorra, in terms of new leadership opportunities, new heraldry,
 more pagentry, the possibility of more fun.  But I've also come to the
conclusion that it cannot be forced.

If you're a proponent of the P word, you need to figure out what area would
be in the principality you'd like to form.  You need to travel extensively
within that area, and encourage your firends to do so as well.  Work to
promote a regional identity.  Work at autocratting regional events, not
just local ones. And that is how a principality will eventually form.

Ves heill,
::GUNNORA::

(writing from work, as always these days!)

home email: gunnora at bga.com