ANST - Names of Groups

Wed Oct 22 08:04:52 PDT 1997

>>Afrena wrote:
>>>
>>> And Namron is still waiting for it's taxes....Bjorn was the Baron of
>Namron
>>> at the time Bjornsborg was founded.  So obviously it was named after him,
>>> and hence owed Namron taxes....as so the war ....um, hunt...yes, that's
>it,
>>> great butterfly and wildflower hunt was fought...uh was held.
>>
>>Actually, Bjorn hadn't joined the SCA when Bjornsborg was founded; it's
>>a few years older than Namron.  Bjorn disclaimed any interest in what
>>arcane method the Bjornsborgers used in deciding to name their group
>>after someone who hadn't yet come to prominence.
>>
>>At least, that's what Alexandra told me.
>>
>>- Galen
>

>So, then for what reason was the great Butterfly and Wildflower
>War...Uhh...Hunt held??
>
>Afrean O'Dunlaing

Any excuse...  However, most crowns do not like their Barons
quarrelling, so Bjorn claimed "his" southern lands and sent forth the
Butterly Hunt and Wildflower Census Expedition.  In the course of this
venture, the baronial levy was beset by rogues and mercenaries in a
series of engagements harrying us across Bjorn's new lands.

Alexandra and Bjorn were assassinated (at least for the event) and
Gwyneth wound up with title to both Bjornsborg and Namron.  These
assassinations had been carefully brokered to achieve this specific
effect as a springboard to another local conflict.  Unfortunately, at
least one gentle, not realizing this was part of the Byzantine
atmosphere took it upon himself to take out HRM Jan and failed.  This
lead to an inquiry into the assassinations at court.

It was one of the more memorable events in which I participated.

Bear