ANST - Chest Protection

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Wed Oct 29 11:32:20 PST 1997

    I started fighting in 1983, and was going along pretty good for a while
(until I had 2 Caesareans 19 months apart, and then spent time recuperating
and nursing babies.)  I have not really been seriously in armor since 1989.
 But I have to agree with some of the discussion about chest armor and groin
protection.
    In my opinion, the reason we have some of the rules that we have is
because they were originally written by men to protect us.  They had no real
idea what special things we needed, and did their best.  But this is no
reason to hold on to antiquated ideas of the past.  I find a rattan blow to
the breast (of which I have more than ample, thank you) is about on par with
a sharp tip shot to my arm or thigh.  No more, and no less.  I also think
that it mighty be less painful for well-endowed women than for men, or our
smaller-blessed sisters, because the tissue is basically unsupported fat, and
moves out of the way when hit.  When there is no place to go except
compression against the ribs, that would hurt much more.
    I have been thinking for a couple of years about getting my armor back
into shape (not to mention myself!) and going back onto the field.  I do not
want to have to contend with a gambeson in this climate, as I am already
heat-sensetive, and do not need the extra insulation.  Great exercise,
though, and I miss the adreline rush!

Tyrca