ANST - If a tree falls in the woods?

Shane B. shaneb at icubed.net
Mon Oct 13 17:21:18 PDT 1997

I haven't driven from Bjornsborg to Bonwicke but I have done the
OPPOSITE for many events!!  I am a founding member of Bonwicke and can
remember when there were only a couple of folk and we were still
discussing what we should call the incipient shiree.... Bonwicke=Good
Meeting Place

Alastair Aylward
2nd Knight Marshal and first deputy for the then shire of Bonwicke

Ghislaine Fontaneau/Elayne Hoover wrote:

> joelight wrote:
> >
> > Okay, here's my nickel...
> *snip*
> > I read "if a tree falls..."  It could have been a
> > verbatim description of Western Sentinel held two weekends ago.  We had only
> > one outside our Region to come.  But, you know what, WE STILL HAD A GOOD
> > TIME.  Many of us have learned to adopt the attitude that it is quality and
> > not quantity that makes an event.  It doesn't matter who hosts the event,
> > you will find people from all our groups helping with all the activities.
> > And you know what, you really should come and see us sometime, you might
> > HAVE A GOOD TIME.
> >
> > Ulrica
>
> Whoo-Hoo!!!!  I agree.  I've been to many events out here in the western
> region--a lot of them seem to be the same exact people, same activities,
> same garb, etc, just at a different site.  It's rather like a family
> reuinion, not just because we've become family, but because it's always
> the same fifty or so people who show up over and over.  Let me tell you;
> people from out-of-region stick out like a sore thumb!
>
> But just because we don't get a large number of "visitors" doesn't mean
> we don't HAVE A GOOD TIME.  We have a FABULOUS TIME whenever we're
> together.  Some of the most fun I've had at any event in any part of the
> Knowne World has been while in a tent, waiting out the tornado, with all
> my back-home buddies, whom I see all the time, and who are still people
> I look forward to seeing.
>
> So ignore those pesky statistics, put the sign-up sheet out of your
> mind, and just worry about having a great event.  So you cooked for 1000
> and only got 100?  Good, more for me to eat.  So there were only three
> fighters in the tourney?  Great, more time to work out senerios.  Or
> maybe just more time for teaching and learning.  Our goal should be
> people, not numbers.
>
> But by the same token, I encourage everyone who can travel to TRAVEL!
> There are a lot of really cool people out there, go find them!  If you
> start driving six, seven, eight hours to make an event, let the autocrat
> know what a great time you are having and invite them to come to your
> next event.  We cannot expect people from out-of-region to come to our
> events if we've never been to one of theirs.  They don't know us, we are
> strangers, why should they drive forever and a day to hang out with
> strangers when they can stay in their own shire and go to weekend
> fighter practice?  I went to a recent event in Bonwicke that was
> attended by a number of Bjornsborgers.  Ever driven from Bjornsborg to
> Bonwicke?  It's a heck of an undertaking--and they did it just because
> someone from Bonwicke had gone to one of their events and made friends.
>
> We are all ambasadors for our local groups.  If we wish to promote our
> local group to the rest of the kingdom, we must be able to meet the rest
> [...]

Shane (Alastair Lord Aylward)
                 ,  ,, ,
           , ,; ; ;;  ; ;  ;
        , ; ';  ;  ;; .-''\ ; ;
     , ;  ;`  ; ,; . / /8b \ ; ;
     `; ; .;'         ;,\8 |  ;  ;
      ` ;/   / `_      ; ;;    ;  ; ;
         |/.'  /9)    ;  ; `    ;  ; ;
        ,/'          ; ; ;  ;   ; ; ; ;
       /_            ;    ;  `    ;  ;
      `?8P"  .      ;  ; ; ; ;     ;  ;;
      | ;  .:: `     ;; ; ;   `  ;  ;
      `' `--._      ;;  ;;  ; ;   ;   ;
       `-..__..--''   ; ;    ;;   ; ;   ;
"Ye Lion's Goblette Taverne" - The world's LARGEST collection of SCA,
RENN'
FAIRE, medieval research and middle ages re-creational societies links!

            http://www.lionsgoblet.org

                       MIRROR SITES

               http://www.icubed.net/usr/shaneb/
               http://www.scalinks.net/