ANST - group names

Martin, Brian bmartin at origin.ea.com
Tue Oct 14 11:17:06 PDT 1997

I'm certain that Stephan already know this, but it may interest/amuse
others. As Austin is in the Texas hill country the good folks who
named our fair barony, (then a shire), decided upon a name that
reflected the local geography. So these folks found the Welsh words
for "hill" and "country";
Bryn Gwlad. However, that's not exactly how Welsh works. Therefore,
rather than being "Hill Country", our barony's name translates to
"Nation of the Unspecified Hill". Oh well...  :)

Pendaran, soon to be the Baron of the Nation of the Unspecified Hill.

V. Allan Endel wrote:

> At 08:27 PM 10/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I have some descriptions like this from groups around the Known
World.
> >I'd love to hear about how other groups came up with their group
> >names and possibly add them to my placenames-msg file.
> >
> >Stefan li Rous
> >markh at risc.sps.mot.com
>
> Stephenville is in an area with few prominent geographic features.
However