ANST - group names

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Tue Oct 14 14:16:35 PDT 1997

At 03:37 PM 10/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Maddie Teller-Kook wrote:
>>
>> I do believe Stargate was named for its proximity to NASA.
>>
>> meadhbh
>>
>  That's what I heard from some of the old, old-timers like Tostig and
>such. However, if my map is correct it seems like the Loch has a better
>claim on the Stargate.
>                              Garth

True. However, the Loch grew out of the Stargate--first as a canton, then
as a shire, and now a Barony.

So many groups have interesting names: Coeur d'Ennui in Calontir (French
for heart of boredom), the Mists (named for the fogs in San Francisco), the
Kingdom of Caid (created of the first letters of the then-existing four
baronies, Calafia, Angels, Isles, and Dreiburgen). Bryn Gwlad (my home) was
named by someone opening an English-Welsh dictionary and pulling out words
for "hill" and "country." Unfortunately, he was not fluent (not even close)
in the language, and we ended up being named "land of the unspecified
personified hill." It should have been, if I recall correctly, Bryn Dir.

Aethelyan
Ansteorra