ANST - group names

Evelyn Alden katriana at chanute-ks.com
Tue Oct 14 16:05:33 PDT 1997

>I'd love to hear about how other groups came up with their group
>names and possibly add them to my placenames-msg file.
>
>Stefan li Rous
>markh at risc.sps.mot.com

Well, chiming in from Calontir,

Bois d'Arc - Wood of the Bow.  Name given by French to the Osage Orange,
which grows all around the nine counties of SE Kansas.  Our shire device has
9 pommes of gold(the "oranges") in border and a bow in the middle.

Forgotten Sea - Well, legend has it there was a sea there a loooong time
ago, (like when dinosaurs roamed the earth) but we've all forgotten : )

Standing Stones - There are several (7?, 9?) stone columns on the University
campus in Columbia, MO.  The shire is named for them.

Ivory Keep - I believe this is named after the town of Hannibal, MO
(Hannibal-elephants, get it?)

NoMountain - Grinnell, IA.  There is no mountain there : )

Spinning Winds - Manhattan, KS is in "Tornado Alley"

Three Rivers - There are enough things mundanely named Three Rivers in St.
Louis to make this one obvious

Couer d'Ennui - Heart of Boredom, Des Moines, IA.  The device is a ring of
boar's heads, it was used to be their custom when gathered in a group to
chant "boar ring, boar ring, boar ring,..."

OK, I should know more, when I remember/find out, I'll email you (privately <g>)

  Katriana op den Dijk
  Shire of Bois d'Arc
  Kingdom of Calontir