ANST -Ladies Chest Protection

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Wed Oct 29 12:56:14 PST 1997

Galen here!
Russell Kinder wrote:

> -Erik Wulfriksson- wrote:
> >
> > Tuh Tahl said:
> > > Although the thought of hitting tender flesh makes ME twitchy, that's MY
> > >problem, not the ladies.
> >
> > Amen, brother! This whole subject is making me cringe like an inbred cocker
> > spaniel. To the lady fighters of Ansteorra I have to ask: Are you nuts?!?!
> > Why are you even talking about this? Why would you even consider going out
> > on the field with such a tender part of your anatomy unprotected? Screw a
> > bunch of hot and uncomfortable1, how about avoiding severe pain1?
> >
> > I have to admit to being a little defensive on this subject; I am a fairly
> > new fighter, and have yet to face a lady on the field, but I once turned a
> > little too quickly, and caught an old girlfriend right in the subject area
> > with my elbow. The moaning, writhing and carrying on was truly upsetting.
> > The thought that crossed my mind at the time was 3gee, maybe women DO know
> > what it1s like to get hit in the family jewels.2
>
> Get over it. At the point you face a lady on the field, you'd better
> worry more about what she might do to you. Do your best and take your
> best shot, but don't be surprised if she walks off the field the victor.

<snip>

Quite right!  Here in Elfsea, "you hit like a girl" is high
praise, and bruises to the upper left thigh have generically
become known as "Stella-bruises" after Mistress Stella's
skill in landing such shots.

I have trained with and fought with female fighters my
entire SCA career; every one deserves as much respect as
you offer any male opponent.  I am always amused when someone
just barely taps Vanora's helm expecting her to just fall
down, and she looks at them and says "light".

As to the original topic, some fighters, because of their
body type, choice of weapons, skill level or fighting style,
need upper body armor.  Others don't.  Men are allowed to
self-elect which group they're in; women should be allowed
to do so as well.  It's all a question of what you're willing
to risk suffering.

- Galen
--
pmitchel at flash.net / http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel
"Commit principled acts of self-interest and ruthless logic."