ANST -Ladies Chest Protection

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:18:55 PST 1997

---Tyrca at aol.com wrote:

> << Most of our squeamishness as men involves the stricture
>  pounded into us as little boys that you *never* hit a girl,
>  no, not ever. But a few slot shots to the visor or raised
>  welts on the buttocks will quickly change
>  your mind about the helplessness of the so-called "weaker" sex.
>
>  Ld Guillaume de Troyes
>  Shire of Mooneschadowe
>  .... >>

Ahem, Tyrca? You might want to re-post... only text listed (albeit
slightly reformatted for quoting clarity) came through, at least on
one attempt...

Unto Guillame and others following the discussion:
 I will note that my father directly addressed such a point in terms
of the modern world: I was not only permitted but *encouraged* to
offer physical response if any young woman tried to take advantage
of the bit of modern-day chivalry instructing "boys NEVER hit
girls". (Seems he had been on the receiving end of one or two
hellions in his youth...)

I further observe that some degree of sternum protection, including
coverage for the xiphoid, is a very good idea. Any who remember my
own original armor (a tube of heavy conveyor belting with steel
backplate) will recall that it gave extreme protection to the entire
torso and back. The reasons for that ugly P.O.S. cuirass included
very simple construction (tube of belting joined by the bolted
backplate), a part was intimidation factor (black rubber belting and
light tan steel back piece, in Ansteorra weather), and a very large
part was knowledge of the reltive fragility of the human body
(history of minor back problems due to misalignment plus extensive
first aid training).

My currently-under-construction heavy armor will be patterned upon a
blend of char-aina and coat-of-plates styling. Partially due to
simplicity, partially due to knowledge gained in the past, and
largely due to a great deal of serious thinking about the matter.

P.S. anyone know what ever became of the belting&steel armor? Last
word I had was that it had been modified for side-buckles or lacing
and was floating around the Northern region as loaner gear (after I
had given it to "R.J.", and he then relocated to the Caribbean....)

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (AoA in SCA, so: al-Sayyid) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
     F.O.B. (Friend Of Blackfox)
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com MikeCBaker at aol.com