ANST - A moment of mourning

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Sep 1 13:46:20 PDT 1997

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, ches <ches at io.com> wrote:
> Princess Diana, the fairy tail Princess of England,

Correct spelling is particularly important for death announcements and
other very serious writing.  With apologies to ches, I'm afraid my
first reaction to the above was to giggle and say "no, that's Edward".

(To be pedantic, I don't know her titles and styles after the divorce.
I *think* she was Princess of Wales without being Her Royal Highness
-- divorces do unpredictable things to royal titles in England.  She
was not a Princess of England except in the pure descriptive sense: I
don't believe that "England" has existed as a governmental entity
since the Act of Union of 1707.  I suspect she was also Princess of
the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

As for the other portion: fairy tales rarely deal with "ever after",
and it was not particularly happy.  Perhaps the Brothers Grimm did
this one?)

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com