ANST - A moment of mourning

Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover elyh at wcc.net
Mon Sep 1 01:44:22 PDT 1997

KiheBard at aol.com wrote:

> > It is a tragedy that we all fear when someone we know has died.
> >  Princess Diana, the fairy tail Princess of England, has died today due
> >  to injuries in car crash in Paris overnight. Pray for her sons as they
> >  deal with this all too human emotion that we all do not wish our own
> >  enemies.

> What I will mourn more than a beautiful woman's passing is the
> circumstance in which it occurs. We in the SCA are perhaps too
> familiar, too close to our royalty, to fully appreciate the problems
> associated with notoriety. However, we still have our own set of
> difficulties: favor-seekers, implacable cronies, intractable peers.
>
> Here's hoping that all of these in OUR ranks will take some pause,
> and reflect, and better respect the privacy and perils of royalty.
>
> Amra

I will also mourn the passing of a woman who, in my opinion, conducted
herself with greater nobility than any of her higher-ranking "family."
She was a symbol of grace, beauty, and charity, and she was as human as
any of us.  I have, since hearing of her death, heard gossip of
everything from blood-alchohol levels to scandolous love affairs [no,
not on this list, but everywhere else].  It sickens me that in the face
of this tragedy, many snub the others involved in the wreck.  Though her
gentleman friend was not a Royal, he was nevertheless someone she had
chosen for companionship, as any divorced woman has the right to do; to
chatter of the scandolous love affair is to close our eyes to the
frailty of human life.  Let us not forget in this time of speculation
and gorey curiosity that Diana was a mother of two young boys, and
beloved by her people.

Ghia