ANST - New topic

Mitchell-CON, Paul T MitchellPT at IMC7.EMS.LMCO.COM
Thu Sep 4 07:03:05 PDT 1997

Galen of Bristol here!

I think one of my duties as a knight is to take a swing at topics like
this so...

> Honor and Chivalry are two topics that seem to be talked about
> frequently.
> I've been thinking about another spin on these venereable subjects.
>
>         1: Do you give an opponent choice of weapons?  Let's say you
> are
> paired with Joe Newcomer in the first round.  What about Sir
> Supercool? Do
> you insist on your favorite? Does it matter if you're Duke Hotottrot
> and he
> has no chance? Does it matter if he's the Duke?

Though I am a knight and a Viscount, I have never been a "Sir Supercool"
nor a "Duke Hotottrot", except from the point of view of far less
experienced
fighters.  Generally, I'll match weapons with a person who has a
distinct
preference.  If a person declines to name their preference, I'll suggest
mine.  But I'm comfortable fighting almost anyone with almost any
standard
combination.  Of course, what weapons are available is important, too.

>         2: Do you give a point of honor to your opponent?  Arm or leg
> him,
> and would you give up your own? What if he's a superior fighter?  An
> inferior one? Would you want the same treatment? What if giving up an
> advantage *is* an advantage to you? What about giving an advantage to
> a less
> talented person to start the bout? (ie: fight offhanded against Joe
> Newcomer
> in his first tourney) Is that insulting to the other person?  What
> about
> accepting an advantage from a more talented person?

I'll generally keep an earned advantage.  I certainly take no offense
when
my opponent does so.  And I'll most often -- though not always -- yield
when I've lost a leg or arm.

>         3.Do you *try* to win every bout?  Give 110%? Maybe only 75%?
> Does
> it dishonor your opponent (or yourself) to *not* try to the greatest
> of your
> ability? Is it ok to "throw" a bout? What if the person is  very
> deserving
> of victory? What if they are new? Or your friend?

I do try to win them all.  My ability to focus on this effort seems to
vary
rather widely, however.  But the factors mentioned above don't come into
play for me.  In a tourney, I don't believe that it is OK to "throw" a
bout.
If you're not there to win, you have no business denying victory to
those
who are.  Which brings us to...

>        4. Now to the odd one... Is it honorable to *want * to win?
> ("huh?")
> I mean, everyone wants to win,(and have fun) but where do you draw the
> line?
> No one thinks it is a "good thing"(tm) to take *unfair* advantage of
> your
> most noble opponent, but  how you answer the first three points
> determines
> what you feel is a fair or an unfair advantage, and leads to your
> personal
> choice of "how bad do I want to win?".  From insisting on a specific
> weapons
> style to refusing to call blows is a VERY wide spectrum of "want".  Do
> you
> want to win enough to change your view on points 1,2, or 3? If it's
> the
> tourney of the Canton of Wayoutthere?  If it's your local group's
> event? If
> it's Crown?

This is a very 20th century question.  Only very lately has success
become
something automatically to be suspected.  The implicit assumption behind
such a question is that someone who *wants* to win will do *anything* to
win.  I believe that the SCA has had remarkable success in disproving
that assumption.  Most of us can recall many times seeing a fighter who
wanted the victory so badly that he could taste it ultimately call a
killing
blow.

Yes, yes, we fight for fun.  I have much more fun when I win, most of
the time.  And no, I don't take unfair advantage to win.  What's unfair?
To me, unfair mostly means unearned.  If I get my opponent's leg, I've
earned that -- I may give up the advantage, but I may honorably retain
that advantage.  My 18 years experience as a fighter in three kingdoms,
having visited several more, is an earned advantage over most opponents
that I don't _ever_ expect to give up.

Choice of weapons?  I never pressue anyone to carry a weapon he's
not comfortable with.  But I'm willing to face him with something he's
never seen before.

Is it honorable to _want_ to win?  What if we all agreed that it isn't?
Would we be reduced to trying to _lose_ fights?  Would we have
to pretend that each victory was an accident (oops! didn't realize
that mace was loaded)?  In two weeks I'm going down to Raven's
Fort for a variety of reasons.  I'll fight in the tourney because I
expect it to be fun, because I hope it'll be good practice for my home-
town tourney, Elfsea Defender (y'all come!) the following weekend,
and because I want to win the tourney on the site where I was knighted,
and wear that beautiful pendant that a squire of mine once wore, and
which our queen now wears, and honor a group who gained its
baronial status with some little assistance from me as Kingdom
Seneschal, and in turn be honored as their champion.  I probably
won't win, but I want to, and I'll be trying.

Where else but the SCA?

- Galen of Bristol,
Guardian of the Tor (2nd year running)
3rd Defender of Ffynnon Gath