ANST - Whips in the SCA????

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 05:23:36 PDT 1997

(I'm addressing the safety & demonstration issues at the end,
so if you don't like tirades against what I have perceived as
incomplete / possibly inaccurate claims about historicity,
please page down.)

In a message dated 97-09-05 00:04:41 EDT, that bard-type fellow wrote:

> It wasn't until the late 1700's that braided leather was used in the
>  making of whips.

Harrumpf.

I doubt very much that *this* contention is either provable, or correct.
If the claim is made based upon a particular source, what is the
reliability of that source -- and what other conflicting sources may
also be cited?

Braided leather was used as a covering for many, many less
flexible or less abrasion-resistant or otherwise ungainly
items. Consider the built-up handles of hair-based flywhisks!

Examples of braid overlays I have seen in modern replicas
and also in photographs of grave goods / anthropological
excavations: as a protective cover and to provide a useful
grip for assorted pottery / carry baskets,
to improve the grip area of a smooth item,
and for insulative purposes (tong handles, firebrand grips).

Beyond these, cordage constructed entirely of braided leather
is a very common grave find in many cultures. A cluster of
thongs individually is are weak, as a group are hard to control,
yet braided are strong and quite durable.

While _one_ particular source for the "snake", or single-lash
bullwhip, might be traced reliably, I do not believe that this is
an implement with only a single origin.  Too many different
cultures developed and used variations upon the lasso,
pole-noose, and bolas for me to easily believe that there
were no braided leather whips prior to 1600CE.

Besides which, what of horsehair or other types of braided
materials from which a single lash may be formed?

SAFETY IN SCA CONTEXT:
I am strongly in favor of safety in whip demonstrations being
improved, and in light of certain recently received information
must also suggest that inappropriate use may be actionable
(could be seen as assault with a weapon).  For everyone's
sake, people, NO HUMAN TARGETS -- not even "in fun".

As a potential competition, I can think of a number of
possible sub-events: accuracy, speed, sound production,
"modified biathlon" obstacle courses, and so forth. SAFE
events, compared to some yahoo deciding to try an
impromptu whip-crack in the middle of a crowded
merchant area....

Amra
remember, sometimes you HAVE to consider "the periphery"!