ANST - New noncombat topic

KiheBard at aol.com KiheBard at aol.com
Sat Sep 6 05:23:48 PDT 1997

In a message dated 97-09-05 10:02:25 EDT, it was written:

> Should Laurels compete in A&S competitions?  At the Steppes Artisan before
>  the most recent one, a Laurel did compete and win, leading to much
comment.
>   What is the general sentiment on this subject?

My sentiment before the most recent Steppes Artisan: not-quite-unique case,
does not really compare with competitions in general due to body-of-work
format, and why not allow and even _encourage_ the Laurels who might wish
to do so to enter. The Baron is looking for the best to be representative of
what his lands-in-fief can produce -- or attract from elsewhere.

This year I created a display for the competition. Upon the previous
point, my opinion has not changed.

>  Also, how do the requirements of honor and chivalry translate into non-
> combat competitions, or do they?  In an A&S competition, exactly who is
your
>  "opponent," others with entries in the same categories, or, as some recent
>  discussions seem to indicate, the person judging the entry?

I was not expecting to be considered as a serious contender at Steppes
Artisan this year.  I am not known as an artist, at least in static forms
(I hope otherwise in bardic arts!), but felt that it was time that I reminded
people that I do more than they might have seen. I also wanted to stretch
a bit, and to earn some new insights.

And have fun. I did, with most of the general populace and even some
of my fellow contestants, plus a few other notable persons. I received
praise, and compliments, and backrubs, and generally enjoyed
myself. Plus, was pleasantly astonished by completing an item
I'd been considering making for some time: a simple un-lined
leather cup intended for holding dry oddments such as nuts or
wrapped candies while at table. (Started from scratch & Completed
on site, while manning my table, answering questions, and the like.)

However, I was extremely disappointed -- yes, even hurt -- that at least
some of the judges appeared to *never* look at my display at all, except
perhaps from a distance of 20 feet or more.  I *know* that Artisan has
become a crowded event. I *know* that there were individuals with
better, more elaborate displays. I *know* that it was nearly a foot-race
for many of the judges to try and gather in even the high points in the
time allotted. A 20-foot ranged glance could not have possibly taken in
the notes, the summary documentation, the formal research, the on-going
research, or the taste of two very different consumable items I brought.

To have been obviously ignored in that manner was not a good feeling.
When at least two of those doing so were not only judges but also
individuals whose opinions I would have very much appreciated
receiving (even if only later, at some other place or time), whose
own accomplishments I admire, it made things worse.

I earned some new insights, certainly. I will be back next year,
with more and better preparations. I will be more active in soliciting
attention to my display, before and during the judging period.

And I will remember what it is to feel snubbed and ignored when
and wherever I may myself be called upon to judge the works
of others. I will be even more diligent in giving appropriate items
of largesse, and word-fame, to those I meet around the bardic
fires. Or whose works of art or science I have seen and
appreciated in display or in competion.

I will not forget. I will be hard-pressed to forgive, but I will do so
for that is my very nature. I will mourn for the thought of others
who might have been left feeling the same.

* * * * *

I will no doubt later regret having mailed this message to the
list. There are _some_ things that need saying more than can be
denied by the possibility of future regrets.

Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
acknowledged by the Society as al-Sayyid