ANST - New noncombat topic

Lee Martindale lmartin at airmail.net
Mon Sep 8 12:15:37 PDT 1997

Greetings to all:

I have been following this discussion with interest and not a small
measure of disquiet.  While the ideas being offered toward increasing
the number of judges are heartening, the core of the situation
appears to be wanting for response.

When a gentle responds to an open invitation (and I believe that
Steppes Artisan is such a competition), he or she does so with the
reasonable assumption that his or her entry will be given the
courtesy of a fair judging by whatever the criteria for a particular
competition.  Whether that entry is large or small, by newcomer or
peer should matter not at all.  That gentle has a reasonable
expectation of fair treatment.

In the context of the competition specifically addressed herein,
this year's Steppes Warlord, this means to me that all competitors
had a reasonable expectation of their entries being judged.  Any
comments, suggestions, discussion, largesse, etc. that came their
way could be considered a welcome side benefit - but at the very
least, entrants - all entrants - should have been able to expect
that all the judges to give at least some examination of all displays.

> Hello from Siobhan.
>
> Since I started this thread, I should probably mention that at Steppes
> Artisan, the _only_ people judging are past artisans and the Baron.
>  Obviously, this significantly decreases the number of official judges
> available to look at work.

With all the respect due to Mistress Siobhan - and that is
considerable - I fail to see the logic of her point here.  It would
seem to me that, when one agrees to be a judge in such a circumstance,
one is agreeing to do just that.  To judge.  To give at least some
consideration to the work of every person who made the effort to
contribute to the event by entering.  (And by that I do not mean
a cursory glance from 20 feet away, which was the method, both
observed and reported, of some of the judges of this event.)

Courtesy, honor and duty belong as much on the judging floor of
an A&S event as they do on the list field.

In Service,
Llereth