ANST - New noncombat topic

Mitchell-CON, Paul T MitchellPT at IMC7.EMS.LMCO.COM
Mon Sep 8 08:30:24 PDT 1997

Sir Gunthar wrote:

> > Galen of Bristol here!
> >
> > I have always felt that A&S competitions without Laurels
> > were like tournies without knights.  Sorry Siobhan,
> > I think of so much by analogy to combat, and this is
> > one of those things.
> >
> > For instance, Timo won Steppes Warlord.  He's neither
> > a knight nor even a fighter of long experience.  In so
> > doing, he outperformed Duke Mikael, HRM Kein, and
> > myself, among many others, belted and unbelted
> > alike.  This is far more impressive a victory for the
> > fact that there were knights in the tourney.  If there
> > hadn't been, we'd be on the sidelines going, "Yeah,
> > he's good, but I can take him."  Of course, in real
> > life, none of us did.
> >

> I'm afraid I must disagree with you here, old bean.  While I agree
> that it is
> perfectly okey-dokey for Laurels to enter A&S competitions, the
> analogy of a
> double-elimination list is incorrect.  In your example, Timo won a
> double-elim
> tourney.  He did not defeat Duke Mikael, HRM Kein, or anyone other
> than the
> opponents he faced.  In many fighting tournies the big guns often take
> out each
> other or have an off day or whatever.  Thus allowing someone who might
> not have
> made it so far to win. This is not to disparage Timo but just using
> your example.

I stand corrected.  Just because Timo won the tourney while I was killed

out in the 3rd round (by someone who subsequently lost to Timo) doesn't
mean he outperformed me.  Good thing for him he didn't face me himself!

Sorry Gunner, I don't buy it.  We're either choosing the best man on a
given day, or we're not.  Which is it?

- Galen

Galen of Bristol, Viscount, KSCA, etc.
http://www.flash.net/~pmitchel/galen.htm