ANST - Sumptuary laws (lots o' stuff)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Sep 18 05:35:30 PDT 1997

> I don't have my copy handy, but I believe it did.  Certainly, it should have.

It does not include a direct statement to this effect. Even in the new
Draft Kingdom Law. Unfortunately this missed my attention when I was
proofing it and I'll be sending it off to Artorius and Burke that it
should be directly included in Kingdom Law.

> Did it not at least end with something like "These then are the Laws
> of the Kingdom of Ansteorra..." (which to me implies that anything
> earlier is superseded)?

The words are:

  These are the Laws of the Kingdom of Ansteorra, keeping to the
  tradition of the laws created by Jonathon De Laufyson Macebearer and
  Willow de Wisp, issued by Lloyd von Eaker and Joselyn Allyne Reynard,
  and maintained by all the noble Crowns of Ansteorra.

That is very grey due to the inclusion of the ability to publish in
other venues such as the BlackStar and Kingdom Officer handbooks.

> Now, as to the matter of regalia, I believe that the only way to view regalia
> issues as having been incorporated into law would be if one viewed
> the policies of the herald's office as having the force of law.  I believe that
> only the Star Principal Herald has ever issued any comprehensive
> guidance in Ansteorra in matters of belts, coronets, or what have you.

Yep.

II 5 e

  The Star Principal Herald shall be responsible for the establishment
  of guidelines for and approval of all insignia rank applying to all
  armigerous and non-armigerous titles, ennoblement's, grants, awards,
  etc., within the Kingdom.

Ciao,