ANST - Order of the Pelican...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Sep 23 07:09:15 PDT 1997

Good Morning,

  First I will disclaim here at the beginning, that this might (hell,
  probably will) offend Peers, particularly Pelicans, if they are
  at all sensitive to receive criticism from those not worthy enough
  to do so. I am not talking about any individuals here, but rather
  the Peerages as a group.

  After going home and thinking about what people had said on the list,
  as well as in private, I think I got even more concerned and discouraged
  by this weekends occurrence. Not to mention the trend that Viscount Galen
  pointed out.

  First off, while sitting in the corner of court that I was, I
  noticed about a half dozen knights and several Laurels throughout
  the court, and I only know a small portion of these Orders. Where
  I was at didn't allow me to see but less than a quarter of the people
  actually in attendance. Btw, this does not include the Knights that
  rotated in to hold the sword of state during court.

  While I know there have been individuals who stated why they were not
  present, I can't believe that no Pelicans stay that long as to attend
  even late courts. This has nothing do with TRM not informing them of
  when announcements will be made, but with the courtesy of attending
  court to honor those individuals receiving awards. Or are they not
  worth their attendance and recognition?

  Not to mention, are there no worthy people within Raven's Fort itself
  that are deserving of this peerage? It seems to me that someone there
  *has* to be doing a lot of work in order to keep the group going. Isn't
  Keif from Raven's Fort? Is he not worthy of this status? If not,
  than I am quite certain that I shall never be able to attain this
  prestigious and elite Order.

  Do all of the Pelicans think that the work ends when feast starts?
  When Court starts? Ever? Is it that they are no longer required to work
  since they have received their peerage? Is it such that the Pelicans
  are so high and mighty that they can sit back on their "laurels" and
  judge those still working as not worthy of this recognition? If they
  judge it that way, what are their criteria for doing so? Not to
  mention why?

  As for the general trend of peers not attending events that do not
  have activities for them, I say "You are not worthy". The last I
  checked, which has been a while, a Peer is to be a well rounded person
  who understands the courtly and chivalric graces. A Peer is someone
  who gives back to the Society as much as the Society has given to
  them. All Peers need to know the basics of dance, costuming, period
  games (particularly chess if I remember right), chivalry, Society and
  Kingdom Law, as well as continuing to perform service through teaching
  if through no other method. These are not items that they have to know
  once to become a peer and then can stop improving or even just
  refreshing their skills. These are the ways that we continue to make
  the Society better and not allow it, nor ourselves, to stagnate and die.

  I would ask forgiveness to those whom I offend, but I feel these where
  concerns and criticisms that I just couldn't keep to myself.

  (Is it just me or do I regularly just not understand what the hell is
  going on with the Peerages? *shrug*)

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "If you want my views of history,
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   there is something you should know.