ANST - Re: becoming a peer

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Wed Sep 24 00:02:40 PDT 1997

> Tadhg mentioned:
> Also, Peers and Students are not always matched for their interests.

This is a very good point for people who are looking to learn.
Here's a viewpoint from someone who has  been a squire for quite a
long time.  I'm also an apprentice to a laurel, who happens to be a
pelican and takes on somewhat of mentorship role in that area, as
well.

When a new fighter asks "who should I squire to?"  my advice is
almost always the same.  Find a peer that you genuinely like and
respect.  Your relationship may span many years, so it's a
good idea to get along well with them.  Remember, many people can
teach you to fight, but that person will teach you how to become a
peer.

Let me explain.  Sure *your* knight will teach you fighting, but so
will many other knights and fighters you cross paths with.  Kind of
like the fighter who wants to learn florentine from Sir Deiter,
glaive from Sir Daffyd and mace from Duke Jon.  In my situation
(my knight isn't often available for training), I've relied heavily
on other knights in my area to work with me on fighting.

My laurel, Master Pepin, received his laurel for foolery.  Now, most
of my friends know I've always been terrified of performing in
public, so most people ask, "what does your laurel teach you?"
When I became his apprentice, we agreed that he couldn't teach me
my art (he doesn't do my art).  What he could do for me was teach me
how to be a good competitor and how to display.  He can also make
sure I meet the laurels who *can* help me improve my art.  He can
teach me how to be a good judge, and a good critic.  In short, his
job is to teach me to *be* a laurel.  Improving my art is my
responsibility, and he is just as committed to helping me find help
to improve as I am to improving.

I think the same is true for many student/teacher relationships in
the SCA.  I agree with Tadgh when he said

> Squires and apprentices are drawn from folks who WANT to learn...
> Proteges I know are the same way...

That's really the bottom line.  Not everybody who takes on a formal
student relationship will eventually be recognized as a peer.  Not
everyone who is made a peer will have ever had a formal student
relationship.  Almost all of the peers I've seen made over the years
have one thing in common, though:  the heart to continue doing
whatever it is they are doing simply because they love to do it.
Sure, they were working for peerages along the way, but, even if
there wasn't such a thing as a peerage, they'd still have been doing
what they were doing because they had the driving desire to improve.
Artists have to create, servers have to serve, fighters have to
fight.  It's in their hearts to do these things.  No one else can
teach you to have that level of committment.

So much for keeping it short!   I know I'm rambling.... my
cold medicine is keeping my brain a little foggy.  Hopefully, what
I've said makes sense to someone besides me.  It's just a little
different perspective on the same old topic...

- Kat     >"<

Katrionna MacLochlainn
Barony of Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra
Lori Campbell
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics
ljones at ossm.edu