ANST - Re: Pelicans

Gregory R. Gagnon cian at ghg.net
Wed Sep 24 19:57:17 PDT 1997

 > A Laurel can teach brush, needle, and spoon strokes.  What would a Pelican
>teach?  At the risk of becoming overly philosophical, it seems in many ways
>that service is an innate thing waiting for expression and not a skill to be
>developed.  Perhaps
>the Chivalry and Laurels are recognized for what they _DO_ and Pelicans are
>recognized for who they _ARE_, something diffiult to see and often
>uncomfortable
>to recognize.
>
>>I agree with this point to a degree. I believe that all Peers are recognized
>>for both what they do AND what/who they are. As both an apprentice and a
>>protege, I refer to the words my Mistress spoke when she asked me to become
>>her student. As her apprentice, she wished to teach me her skills and
>>knowledge in the Arts and Sciences.  As her protege', she stated that she saw
>>the potential within me to become a Pelican, and so wished to take me as her
>>student to help me to cultivate those qualities.  I can only hope someday to
>>live up to her faith in me.
>
>Just my 2 cents worth.
>
>Baroness Suzanne G. M. Beraud
>House Trinity

Thank you Baroness Suzanne,
For setting it up so that I can "clarify" my original post.  I too agree with
this point to a degree.  What the author _really_ meant was: Laurels and the
Chivalry _initially_ draw attention to themselves by a fairly public display of
some skill or set of skills (what they do), after which they are then observed
for those other qualities requisite to being a peer (who they are).  Those
treading the eternal path of service are less likely to have such a clear call
for notice.  One gradually becomes aware (or is stunned when the award is read)
of all that has gone before.  Only after that initial notice does one look for
the other qualities.

Thank you Lady Annais,
For some really good answers to my question of "What could a Pelican teach?".  I
was being too restricted in my thinking.

Cian
Who should know better than posting after too much overtime.
Viscount Cian Conor MacQuaid, KSCA