ANST - New noncombat topic

Gregory R. Gagnon cian at ghg.net
Fri Sep 5 12:47:53 PDT 1997

>Hello from Siobhan.
>
>I've been reading the "honor and chivalry on the field" with great
interest,
>and it sparked a couple of  non-martial questions.  (Besides, the list has
>been pretty combat dominated lately, and I get plenty of this at home.)

Combat or dominated?  ;-}     Enquiring minds want to know.  (Yes, it's
intentional).

>Should Laurels compete in A&ed.lS competitions?  At the Steppes Artisan
before
>the most recent one, a Laurel did compete and win, leading to much comment.
> What is the general sentiment on this subject?

Why not?  Knights still fight in Tourneys.  If there are exceptions (as in a
non-belted tourney) that is OK too.  In Champion's contests the idea is
generally to find the _best_ representative for a group, not the best
non-belted/laureled one.  (Unless specifically stated).

>Also, how do the requirements of honor and chivalry translate into
non-combat
>competitions, or do they?  In an A&tionS competition, exactly who is your
>"opponent," others with entries in the same categories, or, as some recent
>discussions seem to indicate, the person judging the entry?

As near as I can tell you are your primary competition in any contest.   I
like wwinning as measured externally, but am more concerned with my internal
measure.  I will tell any opponent to asks what I do well and what I don't.
It is up to them to translate that into action.  If I were more involved in
A & S I can't imagine it would be much different.

>Hoping to spark some less warlike discussions, I am,
>Fondly,
>Siobhan

Fighting, dancing, history and philosophy.  Don't _get_ me started.

Viscount Cian Conor Mac Quaid, KSCA