ANST - Sumptuary laws (lots o' stuff)

Oriana oriana at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 17 17:46:16 PDT 1997

Sir Lyonel wrote, in part:

> As far as I can see (says F. Lyonel Bailey, the Bar Room Lawyer), nothing
> in these documents states or implies that a new publication of the body of
> Kingdom Law automatically superannuates laws omitted from or otherwise not
> specifically addressed in that publication.

Since Corpora says that changes must be proclaimed at events and published
in the newsletter (VI.A.1.g.(2)), then the mere omission of a law in a
re-publishing of the body of law would not constitute a proclamation of
the change nor the publishing of the change, therefore the law would still
be in effect.

> (2) If not, aren't the previous publications of Kingdom Law (except in
> cases of clear conflict, where the newer law--I think--would have to apply)
> still more-or-less in effect?

Corpora goes on to say in VI.A.1.g.(3):  "If a new law of the realm conflicts
with an existing provision, the latter must be explicity repealed."  It goes
on to say that it is automatically null and void only if it conflicts with
the laws of the nation or subdivisions of the nation, or the governing documents
of the Society.

> Avec many thanks to anyone who can shed some light, je reste

Hopefully that shed some light and did not muddle things further.

Lady O
oriana at pacbell.net