ANST - Sumptuary laws (lots o' stuff)

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 17 15:30:33 PDT 1997

Salut, Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

At 05:46 PM 9/17/97 Lady Oriana replied to my--

>> As far as I can see (says F. Lyonel Bailey, the Bar Room Lawyer), nothing
>> in these documents states or implies that a new publication of the body of
>> Kingdom Law automatically superannuates laws omitted from or otherwise not
>> specifically addressed in that publication.

--with--

>Since Corpora says that changes must be proclaimed at events and published
>in the newsletter (VI.A.1.g.(2)), then the mere omission of a law in a
>re-publishing of the body of law would not constitute a proclamation of
>the change nor the publishing of the change, therefore the law would still
>be in effect.

This would seem to create a quandary for any Sovereign wishing to publish a
comprehensive body of laws.  Other kingdoms usually handle this one of two
ways.  Either (1) the body of kingdom laws is published and distributed as
an a-periodic copy of the newsletter or (2) they publish a notice in the
newsletter to the effect that the newly published body of kingdom law
supersedes all previous copies.

>> (2) If not, aren't the previous publications of Kingdom Law (except in
>> cases of clear conflict, where the newer law--I think--would have to apply)
>> still more-or-less in effect?
>
>Corpora goes on to say in VI.A.1.g.(3):  "If a new law of the realm conflicts
>with an existing provision, the latter must be explicity repealed."  It goes
>on to say that it is automatically null and void only if it conflicts with
>the laws of the nation or subdivisions of the nation, or the governing
documents
>of the Society.

Now *there* you've got a good point--and an excellent example of the traps
and foolishness scattered throughout Corpora.  Following this particular
clause, does not a blanket statement of "all previous versions are hereby
superseded" rendered meaningless?

Incidentally, I've received a private missive suggesting that the sumptuary
laws, such as they are, may be found in the Herald's Handbook.  Where
signed by the Sovereign, Consort, and Kingdom Seneschal (according to
Ansteorran Kingdom Law) this handbook is supposed to be law.

So how 'bout it, heraldic and pursuivantish types, have any of the
sumptuary laws in the Herald's Handbook been ratified?  If so, what 'xactly
do they say?  Inquiring sartorial minds want to know.

lo vostre por vos servir

Sir Lyonel Beau-Brummel Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin