ANST - Middle Ages food icky? Try the Renaissance -yumm!

Dennis Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 1 09:28:11 PST 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Modius von Mergentheim, a German chef from 1580's proffers:

>Yes some food may not be period in the Middle Ages but since the SCA
>cutoff is 1599 the variety of food is vast especially when you include
>food, spices, recipes up to the cutoff time.  The Renaissance has GREAT
>FOOD!  So run wild (up to 1599).  Why eat like a Middle Ager (ick!) when
>you can go Renaissance!!!!!!! (GRIN).

Tell us more, O Renaissance Man.  I know potatoes and chocolate had been
brought back from the new world, but they were not used in a manner that
resembles modern usage.  New potatoes were thin sliced and served raw with
malt vinegar.  Chocolate was brewed like coffee and drunk black.  What else
might we find in the Renaissance kitchen that would have been unknown in
the good old days (pre-1485)?

Personally, as a civilized gentleman of siecle quatorze Languedoc, I am
appalled that no one has yet suggested either peacock or swan.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
Assistant Instructor