ANST - Middle Ages food icky? Try the Renaissance -yumm!

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 1 19:37:31 PST 1998

Ghislaine Fontanneau wrote:

> Ah, Languedoc!  We, in Bretagne, like to refer to Languedoc food as
> "what *else* can you make from olives?"  Not that I may speak, after
> all--my diet is mostly fish.  Fish Fish Fish Fish, Cider, and Fish.

Madame, I beg of you, this late into Lent, please don't mention fish!  I am sick
to death of fish!  Being a good Christian, I am fobidden many foods this time of
year, but how I wish that God could have made dried herring taste more like
beef!

I am reminded of some lovely fish dishes I had at a Lyonesse one year.  Mistress
Gunnora had walrus and whale meat, which I was assured by the priest were indeed
fish.  Funny enough, it tasted remarkably like pork and brisket.

Gio,
drooling and salivating thinking about beef, and pork, and fowl and butter and
eggs and milk.

p.s.  Insert *grin* where appropriate.