ANST - Finned cattle

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 1 21:32:07 PST 1998

Sir Lyonel wrote:

> Have you tried swordfish or tresh yellowfin tuna, old man?  Grilled (and
> basted with olive oil of course) they both evince a remarkably beefy taste
> and consistency.  With a bit of horseradish sauce and dim lighting, you
> just might fool your palate.

Ah, too true.  But, here is the problem with living in Florence.  It is a jewel
of a city, a wonderful place of learning and commerce, but it's not on the
ocean.  We have wonderful beef, veal, lamb, mutton, goat and all sorts of fowl,
but tend to be short on fish.  It just doesn't travel well, is the problem.  It
must be preserved in some way to make the trip here.

Oh, yes, the poor people fish out of the Arno, but I wouldn't touch the stuff
unless I was starving.  It's sad how much filth we put into our poor river these
days.  There is good eel, if you go upriver a ways, but one has to know a
reputable merchant to get some during Lent.  Too many people take advantage
during these weeks.

But, Easter isn't that far away.  I suppose I'll survive.  *grin*

Gio.