ANST - Belts and their meaning..

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 6 18:08:48 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Steafan mac Thamhais writes:

>Much has been said regarding the relationship between a Knight and his/her
>squire, and I am thankful for this exchange, as I've learned much from
reading
>your words.
>
>I'm curious to hear how those Peers of the other circles, and especially
those
>who are Knights as well as Pelicans or Laurels, would respond to the topic.

Well, as  Knight and a Pelican, I feel qualified to respond, but I know
some of my sisters and brothers in the Pelican circle do not share my
views.  I view the Pelican circle as another order of knighthood--not
subordinant, not secondary, just *other*.   From a period perspective, I
see no other possible way to view the order.  As an order of knighthood, I
expect the same qualities from a would-be Pelican that I expect from a
would-be knight.  As I noted earlier today, I consider that list to include
(as a minimum):

"honesty, courage, loyalty, a sense of honor, prowess, largess, courtoisie
(yes, 'courtesy' but also 'courtliness') and what our anglais cozyns call
'fredom.'  Fredom is, I think, the hardest attribute to master; it's
something like Viscount Galen's %noblesse oblige%:  a continuous
demonstration of one's nobility of character accomplished without tiresome,
hollow egotism--a nobility that enriches those around the gentle in question."

The only difference for a would-be Pelican is that her or his prowess is of
an administrative/organizational variety.

Where some of my brother and sister Pelicans appear to disagree with me on
this is in the matter of fredom.  I believe a peer should look and sound
and--yes, I know this is somewhat mystical and vague--resonate.  I don't
believe in invisible peers.  I've known many folks over the years who've
made a habit of working hard, and we've all benefited from the labor of
such folks.  Some of these hard workers are just workaholics--driven people
who feel unimportant or bored if they don't have something to do.  Some of
the hard workers are peers.  I believe there is a major difference between
these two classes.

Incidentally, this is all conjectural on my part.  I've not yet taken any
protege's.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace