ANST - Sword Facts (Long)

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Apr 7 06:45:52 PDT 1998

Ghislaine Fontanneau/Elayne Hoover wrote:

> For the most part, I agree with Lyonel.  Still, it's kinda nice to be in
> on all the gossip--even at 20, I can't get over the feeling that all the
> adults know things I don't and are purposely keeping me in the dark.
>
> Ghia

Which of course is the purpose of Master Orm's & Mistress Megan's
posting; not "trial by missive" as Sir Lyonel suggests, but just
the exposure to some of Ansteorra's history and tradition for
people who are never exposed to some of it.  They're not asking
for redress; they're trying to reach that new fighter or new member
who may someday be on the throne, and help them to carry on the
traditions of this kingdom.  This is done by sharing the stories
of Ansteorra, both good and bad.  That's the duty of peers, nobles
and Lions of Ansteorra, as Orm & Megan are.

That posting contains no calls to punish anyone, and is
certainly subject to refutation.  But its purpose is to
inform, using a public forum -- the "marketplace of
ideas", if you will.  If Lyonel doesn't like Orm &
Megan's ideas... well, my experience with him is that he
is far more eloquent on most occasions than a simple
call for silence.  But Ghia and others like her should
have the chance to sample, and either embrace or reject
those ideas.  And I believe that a formal court would
be a poor place to present them.

- Galen of Bristol