ANST - Principality work

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Apr 10 08:29:55 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Melody says:

>Ok, my two cents on the principality--simply a pragmatic one from a basically
>lazy soul.  From someone who loves my job (chronicler) but hates the
paperwork
>(reports) I can't help but seeing the creation of a principality as another
>layer of (needless?) beauracracy (sp? --it's just too early for me to spell).
>Couldn't we just work on fully utilizing the system we have?

Yes, Melody, we could just work on fully utilizing the system we have, but
what would it accomplish?  Would it provide us the entertainment of
Principality events?  Would it provide us the additional pomp of
Principality arms, coronets, courts, and guards?  Would it allow us the
opportunities of forging new traditions, composing new songs, creating new
ceremonies, and strengthening the delicate bonds we already have with our
nearer neighbors?  I think not.

Will the Principality be more work than a region?  Certainly.  When the
Crown Lands of Artemisia (my old homeland) became the Principality of
Artemisia, over half the offices turned over immediately.  Principality
officers perform tasks which more closely mirror the jobs of their
superiors, the Great Officers of State, than do the tasks of regional
officers.   Some of the regional officers quit because they didn't want the
extra work of being principality officers.  Most left because creating a
principality is a huge task in and of itself--they were tired and deserved
a vacation.  (One major exception was the Golden Wing Herald.  She turned
the job over to me six months after we became a principality because she
was about to become Aten Principal Herald.)

Creating a principality is a lot of work.  Anything worth having is a lot
of work.  It's also a lot of fun.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace