ANST - To Become Principalities Or Not

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sat Apr 11 20:33:10 PDT 1998

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, susanford
<susanford at slackford.norman.ok.us> wrote:
> However, I really don't want to have to cross kingdom
> borders to travel to some of my favorite places to play.

Would there be border guards, immigration, and customs
declarations?

Seriously, I do see a problem near kingdom borders: events
in the neighboring kingdom are in *their* kingdom's
newsletter and not in yours, and it is more expensive to
subscribe to two.  How does Bordermarch deal with Meridian
events?  Does the local chronicler copy nearby event
announcements into the local newsletter?

> Well, an active Principality (or three) would just add to
> the already big pile of paper, what with one (maybe three)
> new Royal couple to keep track of.

I believe the idea is that, while there is some more
paperwork (N%), it's divided over some more people (M%), and
it's hoped that N < M.

> If [all] Ansteorra was divided into three Principalities,

I have not seen any suggestion of that.  The original
from-the-top proposal was five.  I've heard rumblings of
principalities from each region, but not as part of a "carve
up the whole turkey" comprehensive scheme.

> and those Principalities eventually became Kingdoms (it
> is, after all, possible), then Ansteorra would cease to
> exist.  This, more than anything else, is my strongest
> objection.

I could not possibly imagine this happening, even leaving
aside the strong attraction towards the name "Ansteorra" --
which is the main reason why your objection is ludicrous.

The principalities would have to split one by one (unless
the Board happened to vote on all of them simultaneously,
but it seems unlikely that they'd all be ready for kingdom
simultaneously).  The last principality would have the same
territory as Ansteorra.  I can't see the Board elevating the
principality and dissolving the kingdom.  Much easier to
just dissolve the principality.

In fact, when Artemesia split from Atenveldt, just this
thing happened.  Atenveldt == Sun at that point.  The
Principality of the Sun was dissolved.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.