ANST - Princes and Princesses

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Apr 13 22:39:05 PDT 1998

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, maddie teller-kook <meadhbh at io.com>
wrote:
> The principalilty herald will have similar
> responsibilities that the Star principle herald does now
> (correct me Donal if I misspeak).  There will need to be a
> deputy to handle submissions and some one to handle the
> principality OP (not an easy task). So, the principality
> herald will not be the same as the regional herald is now.

The OP I mentioned before.

Principalities usually don't send submissions
out-of-kingdom.  It usually happens only when there's a
physical reason (Australia and Europe: currency conversion
and mail delays) or the p-word is about to go k-word -- but
even Ealdormere, about to go kingdom, doesn't put out
external letters.  I think Laurel Sovereign of Arms doesn't
want one more person to manage.  I think An Tir even
*forbids* anyone but the kingdom submissions herald to
handle submissions.

I would advocate *not* sending submissions thru a
principality.  There have always been problems due to
submissions being a pipeline process: local -> kingdom
internal -> internal letter preparer -> Ansteorran Gazette
publisher -> commentary collator -> internal decision maker
-> external letter writer.  (Often two or more of those
posts are combined by one person.)  If any one person stops,
the whole process grinds to a halt.  It's happened too
frequently and too recently.

Also, there's already about a 4-month delay due to kingdom
processing.  (Sent in before January 15; published February
1 for comment; comment deadline is March 20; decided at the
mid-April internal meeting; sent out near May 1.)  I'd not
like to see another delay, and another chance to lose forms
in transit.

Also also, it really helps to have the submitter's file to
look at past history (e.g., do they have to re-pay? did they
fix the previous problem?).  The kingdom officer would have
to be sending files down most months, I suspect, or the
kingdom officer would have to do the looking-up themself,
which sorta defeats the purpose.

Daniel "What must the king do now?  Must he submit?" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.