ANST - Merkin?

Dennis Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Apr 15 14:25:51 PDT 1998

Salut Cozyns,

Pug responded to my:
>>> That depends.  What do you mean by "why?"  Do you mean "why do we have a
>>> heraldic term for the female pubic patch?" or just "why is it called that?"

with

>>That's odd. The dictionary we checked had it listed as a wig for the
>>female pubic area.

And Jerry responds:

>Webster's Dictionary has that as the original meaning, but "afterwards"
>merkin is defined as the mop used to clean a cannon.

Webster's is woefully inadequate to the task of etymological research.  The
use of *merkin* to describe a pubic wig doesn't appear until the 17th
century.  The use of merkin to describe the female pudendum appears
slightly earlier (1535, according to the OED).  Heraldically, I believe the
term post-dates the SCA 1600 cutoff date.

Now, if Pug was asking why 17th century needed a pubic wig, I have no idea.
Of course, I don't understand why everybody seems to need those Nike
swooshes on every article of clothing.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace

Dennis G. Grace