ANST - Belts and their meaning.( long)

Michael Peters shdwstel at telepath.com
Fri Apr 17 21:07:59 PDT 1998

>   The short version of the story is that someone
> to whom he has no personal fealty or obligation demanded that
> he stop what he was doing and instead do their bidding.  He
> was not asked nor even told politely; he was ORDERED to obey.
>
> I respectfully submit that no one takes a red belt because he
> or she wants to serve as packhorse and gofer for the entire
> kingdom.  The red belt signifies one's desire to be a knight.
> Othar swore personal fealty To His Knight, Hrabia William
> Miesko.  He also has responsibilities to myself, our unborn
> child, other members of his family and a few others.  The
> rest of the world does not have a legitimate claim to his
> time, and should therefore politely *ask* him for help.
>
> Yes, service to the kingdom and its populace is a "knightly
> virtue," and one I hope to see in everyone who wears the
> white belt.  In fact, I hope to see it in everyone who joins
> and participates in the SCA, regardless of the color or even
> presence of a belt.  Ours is a volunteer organization that
> cannot survive without the *willing* service of its members.
> We all have a duty to give of ourselves to The Dream, but it
> is one which emanates from within; it should not be externally
> imposed.
>
> Lady Devnet macShiehie           Dina Dreifuerst
> Barony of the Stargate           Houston, Texas
> Kingdom of Ansteorra             dina at neosoft.com

  Lady Devnet is correct that squires are often the first "selected" by
people who think they have the right(?) to order someone else around,
but they are not the only victims of the impolite/socially inept.
   Last year at Eldern's event myself and HL Martin were listening to
The King (Count Mahadi)speak about how wonderful Lillies had been. A
lady whom I do not know and who apparently did not know either of us not
only"drafted" the two of us (among others) for tent construction, but
also refered to us as pack animals. As Mahadi is a friend of ours we
were pleased to help...him. We were not thanked only dismissed. As a
result I avoided Mahadi due to the company he was keeping for the rest
of his reign.
  The point I ammaking is this, the discourtesy of this LADY was a far
greater blemish on "the Dream" than nonperiod garb or non-conformist
attitudes. If you would like help ASK. I and most others would be
pleased to help but don't order it buys you nothing but emnity.

Yours,
Lord Mykaru Kurodachi