ANST - sites and misuse of hospitality ...

Alan J. Boertjens a-boertjens1 at ti.com
Tue Apr 28 12:48:23 PDT 1998

j'lynn yeates wrote:

> On 28 Apr 98 at 9:28, Alan J. Boertjens wrote:
>
> > Given our group, and our "eccentricities", having events at "dry"
> > sites just will not fly.  e.g. No brewing/vintning category at a
> > Kingdom Art/Sci event is ridiculous.  To put in business terms,
> > these sites obviously do not understand the needs of their
> > "customers". We should not give them our business.  They should not
> > make money off of us with their absolutely horrific "customer
> > relations" policy.
>
> point of order .... having known several on the other side of the
> equation (landowners) before you tar-and-feather all land-owners with
> the same brush,  stop a minute and consdier *wahy* some of these
> restrictions exist ...
>
> in many cases, these restrictions are based on insurance issues, local
> law restrictions, past legal problems (example, who is held liable for
> underage drinking on a private site ???),  personal religious
> constraints (if a church or even private land held by person(s) with
> strong convictions is used, you are honor bound to respect their
> wishes on how their peoperty is used ...).  just slapping down a site
> fee should never be considered a carte-blanche to .
>
> also consider, that in many cases you are paying for the mis-use of
> that land by past tenants (cause of one no alchohol policy that i am
> aware of)
>
> just slapping down a site fee should never be considered a
> carte-blanche to mis-use the basic tenants of hospitality.   and one
> of those basics is respect the wishes of your hosts.
>
> 'wolf

That's exactly why we need to get out from under non-SCA-owned
sites.  Scarborough Faire has a permanent site.  Hawkwood has a
permanent site.  Why can't we get a site for our own?

The SCA in this area has been around longer than either of these
organizations and we can't get our 'stuff' together and just do it.
I know we can't have a site by next year, but everyone seems to be so
against the idea that no one here has started a fund as a contingency
for the future.  If a land fund is not started now, we will NOT have
a chance for a permanent site in the future, and more and more sites
will be unsuitable for holding events at.  Consider it like a lottery
ticket, if you don't purchase at least one ticket you won't win at all.

"Opinion warning!!!":
It's my opinion that if the various kingdoms of the SCA do not get
permanent sites, the SCA as we now know it, will die!  It already has
mutated significantly since I started playing 13 years ago.
I do not want to see this happen, let's all try to save what we have!

Just to stir the hornet's nest about a bit, here goes...

The point was made that Ansteorra was too big geographically
to have one permanent site that could be accessible for everyone.
Hmm....what better reason for becoming a principality and eventually
a separate kingdom.

~Ld.Johan Bjornsson
 (Alan Boertjens)