ANST - sites and misuse of hospitality ...

Stephanie Edwards sedw42 at runway.net
Wed Apr 29 09:26:33 PDT 1998

The only thing I can add to this thread is that I can almost promise you
that there is no regulation against 501(c)3 organizations owning land.  I
currently work for a YMCA (another 501(c)3) and it owns several pieces of
land.  I will also say that I have been working with them for the last 6
months to raise money needed to build a building on one of these pieces of
land.  People aren't willing to help fund a building that will be on the
other side of town much less the other side of the state.  While this is
not always true, it is an objection I have heard fairly regularly.

While living in Ansteorra, I regularly heard people say they were not going
to an event because of distance.  I don't even want to imagine the
discussions that it would take to even agree on 2 or 3 locations much less
one.  Even the idea of putting a site in the areas considering
principalities will have it's problems.  There is a decent distance covered
by some of these groups at least from the discussions I heard here.

Owning it's own land also has a great deal of upkeep and financial costs.
There are the basic financial considerations like taxes and genreal land
improvement and work.  There is also the fact that this kingdom or whoever
would then become landlords themselves.  Who gets to set the rules?  THere
are drastically different ideas about what makes a good site and what site
rules are reasonable as well as questions of how to deal with an SCA group
that does not play by these rules.

Hope this helps as you consider the idea.

Stephania