ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Wed Apr 29 17:17:34 PDT 1998

> This 'one bad apple ruins it for the rest of us' trend will eventually
> kill the SCA, one issue at a time, until it won't be worthwhile to
> participate in it anymore.
>

> ~Ld.Johan Bjornsson

You've put your magnificently beer soaked finger right on it.

The usual beureaucratic response to just about any problem is to make a
rule that screws things up for the vast majority, who have not
transgressed.  This is because it is much easier to restrict everybody's
freedom than to deal with the individual malefactor.  While the path of
least resistance may be to set a global policy, (a word that has the same
root as, "police"), it does have an element of cowardice.

The courageous thing to do is to deal firmly with transgressors, which is
precisely the reason that we don't do it more often.  We need to stop
letting the screw-ups ruin things for the rest of us.

The post to which you were replying had a certain self righteous tone to it
(perhaps unintentionally), that we should avoid.

						Jeremy