ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

Alan J. Boertjens a-boertjens1 at ti.com
Wed Apr 29 16:05:55 PDT 1998

Jonathan Blackbow wrote:
> ['scuse me while I laugh, folks...but there's a very simple solution to the
> problem of how to handle drinking on site, particularly when it's been
> specifically forbidden.
>
> And the solution is in the form of a question:
>
> What the hell is it about drinking alcohol that is SO attractive that people
> are willing to bend/break/shatter rules in order to do it?  Are there
> actually people who flat-out will not attend an event if they are told they
> can't drink?

I personally don't go to events that are "dry", its my choice.
I am, and have been for quite some time, a brewer.  I'm proud of
the brews that I make and I like giving it away and passing it around
at events, especally at bardic circles.

Besides, drinking alcohol is PERIOD!

> Isn't this just a bit asinine?

No its not.
Drinking at events is a long-standing tradition.
Its an integral part to socializing in mundane society and it had better
be allowed in the SCA, otherwise people won't socialize here anymore
and the SCA will die...a most boring death at that!
I'm inserting a previous post at this point...

Subject:        FW: The Beer Facts

  A fascinating look into one of the most influential activities to ever
grace our planet?

  Another title might be "How beer did not save civilization, but it
made it more interesting".

  Beer Fun Facts:

 It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a
month
after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with
all the mead he could drink.  Mead is a honey beer and because their
calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or
what we know  today as the "honeymoon".

  Before thermometers were invented, brewers would dip a thumb or finger
into the mix to find the right temperature for adding yeast. Too cold,
and the yeast wouldn't grow.  Too hot, and the yeast would die.  This
thumb in the beer is where we get the phrase "rule of thumb".

  In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So, in old
England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to
mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the
phrase "mind your P's and Q's".

  Beer was the reason the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock.  It's clear
from the Mayflower's log that the crew didn't want to waste beer looking
or a better site. The log goes on to state that the passengers "were
hasted ashore and made to drink water that the seamen might have the
more
beer".

  Furthermore, some anthropologists speculate that Neolithic people made
the switch from wandering and  hunting-gathering to farming in order to
raise  grain to brew beer.

  After consuming a bucket or two of vibrant brew they called aul, or
ale, the Vikings would head fearlessly into battle often without armor
or even shirts. In fact, the term "berserk" means "bare shirt" in Norse,
and eventually took on the meaning of their wild battles.

  In 1740 Admiral Vernon of the British fleet decided to water down the
navy's rum. Needless to say, the sailors weren't too pleased and called
Admiral Vernon, Old Grog, after the stiff wool grogram coats he wore.
The term "grog" soon began to mean the watered down drink itself. When
you were drunk on this grog, you were "groggy", a word still in
use today.

  Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into
the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they
used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle", is the phrase
inspired by this practice.

"Beer, not just a beverage, but the bedrock of society and its customs"
"Beer, not just a beverage, but the bedrock of society and its customs"
"Beer, not just a beverage, but the bedrock of society and its customs"
"Beer, not just a beverage, but the bedrock of society and its customs"
"Beer, not just a beverage, but the bedrock of society and its customs"

I thought this last line was soooooo important that its said five times,
two times just isn't enough to get the point across.

> I, for one, have rarely gotten anywhere near alcohol.  #1, it's expensive,
> #2, it tastes like s**t, #3, I've never needed alcohol to make a fool out of
> myself.  #4, it can kill you.

Your loss mate...
1) expense is relative, besides I mostly bring homebrew.
   Its only expensive if you drink too much.
2) thats your opinion, it doesn't apply to everyone.  You must not
   have had any of my mead then.
3) is alcohol the problem then or is it the person's personality? ;-)
4) everything CAN kill you.  At least when were at an event we're
   not drinking and driving, like people do when going out to clubs.

> What is it, then?  The cameraderie?  Ack. ...again, I don't need alcohol in
> order to have a good time.  Note the word NEED.  Apparently there are people
> out there who are so incapable of having fun without it that they will put
> their WANTS above the SCA's NEEDS, i.e., a site that you can use without
> having to tiptoe around.

The SCA's 'needs' have mutated over the years, mostly due to
lawyers and the PC movement... enough said.

> Isn't that a bit irresponsible?  Reckless?   Thoughtless?  Inconsiderate?
>
> Pick yer favorite adjective.

A question...
Is the SCA supposed to meet the needs of the people, or are the
people supposed to meet the needs of the SCA?

If its the latter, then its no longer worthwhile to do.
I'll stay home and throw an unofficial revel instead.

> As I've said before on other subjects, I'm all for inclusivity in all
> aspects of the SCA.  But I have to draw the line at potentially damaging
> (and largely unneeded) behavior.

The problem here is this...
A single incident occurs.  Then some disciplinary action is taken,
whether it be a 'talking-to' or 'banishment'.  Either case, the
individual involved most likely will think harder next time before
doing something against the rules.  The next thing that usually
happens is some bureaucrat gets into the mess and makes global policy
changes that end up effecting everyone in the society.

This 'one bad apple ruins it for the rest of us' trend will eventually
kill the SCA, one issue at a time, until it won't be worthwhile to
participate in it anymore.

~Ld.Johan Bjornsson