ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

Damaris of Greenhill damaris at io.com
Thu Apr 30 05:49:55 PDT 1998

Conor mac Cinneide wrote:

> "Dry sites will kill the SCA"
>
> I have never heard a more ridiculous subject line on an e-mail.  In fact, I
> found it rather insulting.  The idea that something like the SCA could be
> killed simply by dry sites is an insult to every member of the SCA.
>
> I agree that banning alcohol is an extreme reaction, but as a non-drinker
> dry or wet makes no difference to me.
>
>         >Drinking at events is a long-standing tradition.
> But not necessarily a good one
        >Its an integral part to socializing in mundane society and it
had better
>         >be allowed in the SCA, otherwise people won't socialize here anymore
>         >and the SCA will die...a most boring death at that!
>
> In case you can't guess, this is the part I find insulting.  Millions of
> people socialize without alcohol and seem to have a good time(myself
> included).  If the SCA would die without alcohol, then it stands for nothing
> and deserves death.  I think you underestimate the SCA, and the people in
> it.  I do not think we should go alcohol free, but I also do not think we
> should reject good sites because they are dry.  Alcohol is not integral to
> the SCA.  It is enjoyable but I worry about anyone who cannot enjoy
> themselves without alcohol.
>
> It is pathetic if wet versus dry is the important criteria to choosing an
> event.  I wish I had another word to use instead of pathetic, it comes off
> as preachy and self-righteous, but I cannot think of another that fits.

Conor,

It doesn't sound preachy and self-righteous to me.  And I'm a brewer.  I
enjoy brewing, I enjoy the fruits of my own labors, and I enjoy seeing
other people enjoy them.  But this is not the only reason I play this
game.  If I go to a site that doesn't allow alcohol, all the more
challenge to learn a new art anyway.  I think that the idea that "Dry
sites will kill the SCA" is ludicrous.

Damaris
"Mead brewer extrodinaire"
--