ANST - Belts and their meaning..

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 8 11:29:18 PDT 1998

Gio said:

> Daniel wrote many things that I agree with.  I also don't like the practice of
> assuming that someone wearing a red belt should automatically be assumed to be
> "gunning" for a Knighthood.

And here, I'm going to stick my head out and say "neither should we assume that
the wearer of a red belt is a squire". While a plain, white belt is reserved in
Kingdom law (or perhaps only in Corpora) for Knights of the SCA, there is no
formal restriction on red belts, or blue or green or yellow.

For some people, wearing a blue feather indicates that they are gay. For other
people it doesn't. A plain, red belt should be treated the same way.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

(Who got so much flak with his newly-made reddish-brown belt when he first
joined the Society, that he quickly dyed it brown. Now he wouldn't. But
he's already known as a non-conformist, arguementative grouch now.)