ANST - Merchants (was Belts and their meaning)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Thu Apr 9 23:54:21 PDT 1998

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 knotwork at juno.com wrote:
> I have to step in here in defense of merchants.
> Another "mere merchant,"

Good heavens!  I never meant to truly attack merchants!  I'm
sorry!  When I wrote,

> >>Shouldn't most of us be doing that for some of the virtues
> >>of the Chivalry?  After all, many of the chivalric virtues
> >>are virtues for others.  E.g., no prowess and courage would
> >>be expected of a mere merchant, but largess, courtoisie, and
> >>pity for women, priests, and the weak in general are
> >>commendable for him.

I was just slipping into period attitudes for a bit.  I
didn't realize that the slippage was pretty well unmarked.
I'm surprised I haven't gotten flamed for lumping women in
with "the weak in general" -- which is NOT my attitude in
real life; I FEAR the ladies of the SCA.

Daniel "Llereth's a merchant AND a women AND possibly a
priest(ess) ... she's gonna KILL me" de Ceased
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.