ANST - P, K words = Radical Suggestion

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Tue Apr 14 07:30:26 PDT 1998

Mike C. Baker wrote:

> I've got another idea about the whole procedure which I will shove into a
> different message.

Don't adjust your dials, it is now a different message (and yes, I quoted myself).

Radical Suggestion: One of the greatest drawbacks in the consideration of
principality advocacy appears to be the amount of work required to develop and
support the new structure.  I propose that all those Ansteorrans who wish to form
principalities based in essence upon the current regions cooperate to create ONE
boiler-plate set of documents.

This document set would include proposed principality law, initial award structure,
and suchlike. The set would then be considered -- once -- by the appropriate Kingdom
officers, revised as required, and *then* "personalized" according to the needs of
each region. Each proposed principality would still be considered upon its own
merits, require its own polling of the populace, and so forth -- but all would have
a common basis.

Advantages:
reduced work required
greater sense of the outcome(s) still being uniquely Ansteorran
less culture shock travelling between or into principalities within Ansteorra

Disadvantages:
possibly less feeling of "ownership" for the results of the process
more likelihood of the process being seen by the masses as "imposed from above"
greater difficulty in arranging meetings of the drafting bodies
more resistance to establishing initial consensus

My observations at this time are that the Southern and Northern regions are most
seriously considering the leap from region to principality, Central has effectively
tabled the motion while trying to move toward region-building and strengthening of
the local groups, and I've not gotten a firm sense one way or the other about
Western. (Coastal, with apologies I just haven't managed to separate your
discussions from those of the Southern advocates.)

One more advantage of dealing with a boilerplate/template for Ansteorran
principalities: once created, such a set of documents would move the discussion
beyond "what if" to the less-nebulous "what about"....

I'm not suggesting that I'm qualified to draft such a template myself. I'm not
certain I even support the concept that I'm describing all that strongly. But, being
related in some ways to Heinlein's "lazy man", anything that reduces the total
workload appeals to me.

Amra/Kihe/Mike
COBOL Sr. P/A For Hire (Currently 3 client-site interviews scheduled!)